Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Poorly KLE - The Update.

It's been over a year since I took my old KLE500 off the road to inspect the damage caused by years of neglect and constant use... see my original post for the gory details. I can't believe I've been off the road for 12 months now... that's the first summer I've been bikeless since I was 16 (1980!!), and I'm really getting frustrated now. I have managed to strip all of the offending parts off and e-bay has come up trumps with replacement solenoid and rectifier/regulator units, a replacement cylinder head, new cam followers, exhaust clamps and a few extra spares too.  I've also aquired a new tank, seat unit and a small screen for the headlamp cowling. The seat has been recovered in black leather and the tank is being resprayed with zebra stripes. It just feels like I don't have the time to get it all finished, what with work, a 3 year old son and a wife who works unholy hours and shifts. I must make time to get it all rebuilt this winter as I can't bear to go another year without a bike. Here's a few shots to show what damage I found, it's amazing what road salt can do to alloy.
My bike, looking neglected and in need of some tlc. 19 years and 70,000 miles of use have taken their toll, but it will rise again. We've been through too much together to let this bike just fade away.
The barrels and pistons are back on the gearbox with a new camchain and guides in place.
These are the original cam followers with the worn faces.
Luckily I found them before the damage became worse.
Cleaned and refurbished cylinder head with cams and new oil feed pipes in place.
... there's always something else though! This used to be a working front brake! It is siezed solid and refuses to come apart. Anybody got a cure... or a new one?

No comments:

Post a Comment